Laura D. Phillips has represented seriously injured people in medical malpractice and personal injury cases in the state and federal courts throughout Pennsylvania for nearly fifteen years. Her work has included cases involving wrongful death, birth injuries, surgical errors, delayed diagnoses, motor vehicle collisions, trip and fall cases, misdiagnosis, liquor liability, and failure to diagnose through all stages of trial and appeals.
Laura is proud to hold an “AV Preeminent” Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating by her fellow attorneys for both legal ability and ethics. Due to her trial advocacy skills, Laura is also an invited member of both the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County and Academy of Trial Lawyers of Southwestern Pennsylvania.
In 2019, Laura was recognized as one of the Top 50 lawyers in Pittsburgh and Top 50 women lawyers in Pennsylvania by Super Lawyers. Every year since 2013, Laura has been recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer or a Super Lawyers Rising Star in the field of plaintiff’s medical malpractice litigation and personal injury litigation. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Super Lawyers Rising Stars are considered the top up-and-coming attorneys in their field who have been practicing for fewer than ten years. She is also a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, whose membership is limited to attorneys who have achieved verdicts and settlements on behalf of their clients in excess of one million dollars.
Laura has served on the Board of Governors of the Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association since 2007. She served on the Board of Governors of the Pennsylvania Association for Justice (PAJ) between 2008 and 2017. She is a former Chair of the Future Leaders Section of the PAJ. She is a former President and Vice-President of the Young Lawyers’ Division of the Washington County Bar Association, and was a member of the bar association’s Executive Committee. Laura is also a member of the Women’s Bar Association of Southwestern Pennsylvania, American Bar Association, American Association for Justice, Allegheny County Bar Association, and Allegheny County Bar Foundation.
Laura earned her Bachelor of Science from Georgetown University in 2001, where she was a member of the International Politics Honors Program. She received her Juris Doctor from Georgetown University Law Center in 2004, where she was a Legal Research and Writing Fellow. While in law school, Laura was selected to be a member of the Appellate Litigation Clinic and represented clients in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth and D.C. Circuits. She was raised in Washington, Pennsylvania and is a proud alumna of Mount de Chantal Visitation Academy in Wheeling, the only all-girls school in West Virginia between 1848 and its closing in 2008.
Laura is frequently invited to teach continuing legal education (CLE) courses, and she has spoken on topics including trial tactics, professional ethics, courtroom technology, and proving damages.
Laura resides in the Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh with her husband, Bryan Mills and their newborn son William.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury – Plaintiff 30%
- Medical Malpractice – Plaintiff 70%
- Pennsylvania, 2006
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 2006
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. – 2004
Legal Research and Writing Fellow
Appellate Litigation Clinic
- Georgetown University, Washington, District of Columbia
- B.S. – 2001
- My First Trial(s), PA Justice News, Fall, 2008
- Interview with the Hon. Debbie O’Dell Seneca, PA Justice News, May, 2011
- Pscolka v. Boehme, 987 WDA 2014, 2015, Pa. Super.
- Phillips v. Washington Co. Trans. Auth., et al., 986 A.2d 925, 2009, Pa. Commw.
- Olatunji v. Ashcroft, 387 F.3d 383, 2004, 4th Cir.
- Effectively Preparing Your Expert for Trial, Women’s Bar Association, 2017
- Opening Statements: The Lawyer as Storyteller, Pennsylvania Bar Institute 2014, 2015
- What’s it Worth?, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, 2013
- How to Conduct an Effective Direct and Cross-Examination, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2013
- Ethical Rainmaking in Challenging Times, Washington County Bar Association, 2011
- Maximizing Recovery in Challenging Times, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2009
- Using Technology to Make Your Case, Washington County Bar Association, 2009
- Lawyer Advertising: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Washington County Bar Association, 2008
- 20th Annual Symposium on Civil Trial Practice, Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, 2019
- 19th Annual Symposium on Civil Trial Practice, Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, 2018
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating -Martindale Hubbell
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, 2015 – present
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Southwestern Pennsylvania, 2016 – present
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2010, 2013, 2014
- Vice-President, Academy of Trial Lawyers of Southwestern Pennsylvania, 2018
- Secretary/Treasurer, Academy of Trial Lawyers of Southwestern Pennsylvania, 2017
- Top 50 in Pittsburgh, Super Lawyers, 2019
- Top 50 Women in Pennsylvania, Super Lawyers, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 2008 to 2017
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Vice-Chair, 2011 to 2012
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Future Leaders Section, 2011 to 2012
- Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors, 2007 to Present
- American Association for Justice, New Lawyers Division, 2009 to 2010
- American Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 2009 to 2010
- Washington County Health Partners, Board of Directors, 2009 to Present
- Washington County Bar Association, President, 2008
- Washington County Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Division, 2008
- Washington County Bar Association, Member, 2008
- Washington County Bar Association, Executive Committee, 2008
- Washington County Bar Association, Member, 2006 to Present
- Women’s Bar Association, Member, 2013 to Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member, 2006 to Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 2004 to Present
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member, 2006 to Present
- American Association for Justice, New Lawyers Division Board of Governors, 2009 to 2010